" Fog of Distortion " A poem - Collaboration for peace of Shahid Abbas and Linda

 


they call me hand maid
they call me servant
they call me when they need the least little thing...

fresh water
more dinner
or a towel to dry their feet
demanding of my presence
no matter what circumstance

my life is not my own
lacks self determination and agency
independence and autonomy
my tears my only possessions

what will free me from this tortured life of burden and obedience
this poor woman's life of drudgery and cruelty
limited and monitored
relying only on the mistress' kindness
or lack thereof

see me as I am
a woman a mother and daughter
un-used to a life of neglect and abuse
I live by virtue of my mistress' will
and compliance with any all whims of the master

once I had dignity
under the safe roof of my husband
then life changed abruptly
now I'm cast out
living a lowly life of servitude

I'm not a plaything
I'm a human being
a person as worthy as you
don't think you can destroy what is not yours to........


Linda B. Scanlan and Shahid Abbas
2021
, ©





Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου